Subscribe via Email

Wednesday, June 6, 2007

Try the I-House

Alumni of the I-Houses in New York City and Sydney, Edi Sian and Artie Manalac recommend that you stay at an International House. For the residents, it becomes more than just a place to sleep. “If experiencing new things and new people is your thing, then I-House is the place,” says Edi.

There are 14 I-Houses around the world. Although each I-House operates independently from each other, they all share a common mission: to provide students of different nationalities and diverse cultures with the opportunity to live and learn together in a community of mutual respect, understanding, and international friendships.

The first I-House was founded in New York City after a chance encounter by YMCA official Harry Edmonds and a lonely Chinese graduate student from Columbia University. With the help of John D. Rockefeller, the first I-House was constructed in New York. The idea was then applied to other US states and then, much later in other countries.

Each I-House offers different kinds of accommodations and services. The rooms range from a rooms with a bed, a desk, a chair, and a desk lamp; shared rooms; or fully furnished two-bedroom apartments. Fees vary according to accommodation arrangements. Meals are often included with the accommodation fees. Many of the I-Houses also offer communications and entertainment services. Aside from the all too necessary internet and cable connections, the I-Houses in New York City and in London also boast of a bar just for its residents. In the I-House in New South Wales, residents may avail of maid services. Their apartments get cleaned once a week!

Movies every Sunday, a variety show, film showings, and food festivals are some of the activities at the I-House in Sydney. In NY, Edi lists trips out of the city, Cultural Hours, talks, and boxing classes. All I-Houses schedule events to promote interaction among its residents. Do you like what you are reading? Fortunately, most I-Houses have their own website where you can review the facilities that they offer, their activities, and the cost of accommodations. You can even apply on line.

"I’d live in the International House of the University or College (if they have one) or a similar organization. They usually charge much less than if you stayed in a hotel. I would also apply for consideration in the organization’s host family program. This will give you a place to stay for a month or two before school starts and gives you a chance to hunt for your own place." –Rhoel Dinglasan, Yale University, Connecticut





No comments: